The Ultimate T1d Thanksgiving Guide:
Turkey Day can be a bit stressful when you have Type 1 diabetes or other food restrictions like those with Celiac disease. For this reason, we've compiled some low carb and gluten free versions of your Thanksgiving favorites! These recipes are categorized by Breads & Rolls, Starters, Sides, and Desserts. Please note that not all baking powder is gluten free, so be sure to check yours if you can't eat gluten!
BREAD AND ROLLS
Gluten Free Cheesy Cauliflower Muffins
- 3 cups finely chopped raw cauliflower florets approximately 1/2 a head of cauliflower
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp dry Italian seasoning herb blend
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners. I prefer to use parchment cupcake liners as the muffins will not stick to them at all.
- Combine cauliflower, eggs, 1/2 cup cheese, almond flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix with a large spoon or spatula until smooth.
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop batter into muffin cups, about 2/3 full. You should be able to fill 11 liners. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of shredded cheese over muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until muffins are completely cooked and no longer wet to the touch. If desired, garnish with fresh chopped parsley before serving.
Total Carbohydrates: 2.6g
Dietary Fiber: 0.9g
Low Carb Cheesy Garlic Bread Muffins
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 5 cloves garlic pressed or finely minced, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 325F and grease a standard-size non-stick muffin tin very well. Set the muffin tin on a large rimmed baking sheet (to catch the drips).
- Combine the melted butter and 3 cloves of the garlic. Set aside.
- In a high-powered blender or a food processor, combine the sour cream, eggs, remaining garlic, and salt. Process until well combined. Add the almond flour, baking powder, cheese, and parsley and process again until smooth.
- Divide half of the batter between the prepared muffin cups and use a spoon to make a small well in the center of each.
- Divide the shredded mozzarella between the muffins, pressing into the wells. Drizzle with about 1 tsp of the garlic butter mixture.
- Divide the remaining batter between each muffin cup, make sure to cover the cheese as best you can. Brush the tops with the remaining garlic butter and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake 25 minutes or so, until tops are golden brown and just firm to the touch. These will drip a lot of oil as they bake and it may spill over the sides a bit (hence the baking sheet underneath - to save your oven!).
- Remove and let cool 10 minutes before serving. They are fantastic still warm from the oven with the cheese still gooey. They are great cool too and warm up nicely.
Total Carbohydrates 7.44g
Dietary Fiber 3.07g
Honey Mustard Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 lb. fresh green beans with the ends trimmed
- 10-12 slices thick bacon strips
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Line/grease a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add green beans and blanche for 3 minutes. Drain and pat green beans dry with a paper towel.
- Bundle the green beans into bunches of 6-7 and wrap with 1 slice of bacon each. Lay the bundles seam side down on the baking sheet.
Mix together the honey mustard sauce and use a pastry brush over the tops of the green beans.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Flip the bundles over and the bake for another 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving (1 bundle)
Total Carbohydrates 8g 3%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 4g 8%
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms (About 20)
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- a few sprigs Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- De-stem mushrooms and finely chop the stems.
- To a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add chopped mushroom stems, Italian sausage and garlic. Cook until sausage is browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Mix until well incorporated.
- Once the sausage has cooled, add it to the cream cheese mixture. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Spoon heaping mounds of the stuffing mixture into each mushroom cap. Bake on middle rack for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese over the top of mushrooms. Broil on high 3-5 minutes, or until Parmesan is a nice golden brown.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Net Carbs: 7g
Low Carb Gravy
- 2 Cups Beef Stock or Bone Broth
- 1.5 Tbsp. gelatin powder
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- Place the stock and gelatin into a saucepan and simmer for 8-10 min.
- Remove the stock from the heat for 2 mins, and add the egg yolk, stirring hard and quickly.
- Place the stock back on a low heat and add the butter. Stir well.
Total Carbohydrates 3g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Gluten Free Bacon & Smoked Gouda Cauliflower Mash
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 slices of cooked bacon
- 1/3 cup shredded Smoked Gouda cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cauliflower, heavy cream, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a microwave safe dish.
- Microwave on high for 18 – 20 minutes, or until soft. Transfer the cauliflower and liquid to a magic bullet or food processor.
- Add the bacon and Smoked Gouda. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
6g net carbs
Low Carb Green Bean Casserole
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, cleaned, trimmed and halved
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, rough chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- avocado oil (or frying oil of your choice)
- In a large pot of salted water, bring the green beans to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Drain in colander and submerge the beans in an ice water bath to shock them and stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, sea salt, and black pepper. Add onions and shallots and toss until they are well coated.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat ½ inch of avocado oil. Once the oil is hot, add breaded onions and shallots in small batches and fry until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove them from the oil and spread out on a paper towel to remove excess grease.
- Drain skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add the mushrooms, butter and garlic to the pan.
- Sauté the mushrooms and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- To the skillet, add heavy cream, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low and let simmer to thicken. Once sauce has started to thicken, stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Add green beans to sauce and stir until they are coated. Transfer mixture to a casserole dish. Spread crispy onions and shallots out evenly around the perimeter of this dish. Bake 15 minutes.
Net Carbs: 8g
Low Carb, Gluten Free Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin with Bacon
- 1 Large Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs. Butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic – Minced
- 1 Small Onion – Thinly Sliced
- Salt and Pepper – To Taste
- 8 Slices Bacon – Cooked Crisp and Crumbled
- 1 ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese – Shredded
- ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese – Grated
1. Preheat oven to 400° Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Drizzle olive oil over spaghetti squash, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place cut side down on baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
2. While the squash is roasting, heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat. To the pan add butter, garlic, onions, salt and pepper. Cook until onions are lightly caramelized
3. Once the squash has cooled, use a fork to scrape the flesh into a large mixing bowl. To the bowl, add onions, bacon, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated. Transfer to a casserole dish.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 350° Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Makes 10 Servings
Calories – 280
Protein – 16 g
Carbs – 8 net g
Fat – 5 g
Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce
- Combine the cranberries and water in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until all the berries pop, about 5-7 minutes. Add the other ingredients and reduce the heat to low. Cook until desired thickness. It will thicken further as it cools.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or you can freeze it.
Total Carbohydrates 5g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Healthy Low Carb Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe – Sugar Free
- 4 cups Butternut squash (peeled, cubed)
- 1 medium head Cauliflower (chopped into florets)
- 2 tbsp butter (measured solid, divided into 2 parts, and then melted; can use avocado oil or ghee for dairy-free)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 tsp. sweetener
- 2 cups pecans (divided into 1 1/2 cups and 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup sweetener
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tbsp butter (measured solid and then melted; can use avocado oil or ghee for dairy-free)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line two baking sheets with foil (greased lightly) or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cubed butternut squash, cauliflower florets, a tablespoon of melted butter, garlic salt, cinnamon, and black pepper.
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on the lined baking sheets. Roast in the oven for about 30-25 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through, until both are very soft and golden. (If your pans don't fit in the oven side by side, you can try a single larger pan or roast them in batches, but either way make sure veggies are in a single layer.)
- Meanwhile, pulse 1/2 cup (64 g) pecans in a food processor until a powder forms. (Don't overmix or you'll make nut butter. If there are a few larger pieces left, that's fine.) Chop the remaining 1 1/2 cups (192 g) pecans. Place both in a small bowl.
- Add the sweetener, cinnamon, and garlic salt. Stir in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- When the vegetables are done roasting, remove them from the oven, but don't turn it off.
- Puree the veggies in a food processor or high-power blender, until smooth. (You may need to do this in batches if they don't all fit at once). Transfer the puree into a 2 quart (1.9 L) ceramic or glass casserole dish.
- Stir the sweetener and remaining tablespoon of melted butter into the puree. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if desired.
- Smooth the top with a spoon or spatula. Sprinkle the pecan crumble topping over the casserole.
- Roast the casserole in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the top is golden.
Total Carbs 8g
Net Carbs 5g
Low Carb Coconut Flour Pie Crust
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract- eliminate for savory
- 1/4 cup Swerve sweetener -eliminate for savory
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup butter cold cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk the eggs, oil and vanilla extract in a food processor or stand mixer.
- In another bowl whisk the remaining ingredients together until combined.
- Pour the dry and wet mixture into a food processor.
- Add the cubed butter.
- Process by pulsing until it looks like crumbles.
- Spray a pie plate with cooking spray and pour crumbles into pie plate.
- Press with hands to form dough right in the pie plate. Alternately you can also roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper and flip over into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Using a fork randomly make holes into the bottom of the crust.
- Bake the crust 10 minutes or until golden.
- Cover the crust edges with aluminum foil if using this for a savory or sweet pie that needs to be baked again, otherwise it will burn.
- Once cooled out of the oven, add your filling.
Amount Per Serving (1/12th)
Total Carbohydrates 5g
Net Carbs: 2g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Low Carb Pumpkin Butter Cookies Recipe
- 2 Cups Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tsp liquid stevia OR 1/8 tsp stevia powder OR 1/2 cup Stevia in the Raw, Splenda, or other Sweetener (add carbs for these)
- Pre-heat oven to 300
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Roll into 27 balls and place on a silicon baking mat. Using a fork press dough down lightly.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
1 serving = 1 cookie
Carbohydrates = 2g
Net Carbs = 1g
Dietary Fiber = 1g
Protein = 2g
Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake Mousse
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 – 15 ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup confectioners sweetener
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Pumpkin Pie Spice, more to taste
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and pumpkin puree. Using a hand mixing, cream the two together until there are no visible clumps and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the sweetener, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice and heavy cream. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving.
- Serving Size:1/2 cup
Low Carb Pumpkin Loaf with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
INGREDIENTS (For the pumpkin loaf):
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese – Softened
- 1/4 Cup Butter – Softened
- 1 1/4 Cup Sweetener
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Canned pumpkin
- 1 3/4 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. Pumpkmin Pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
INGREDIENTS (For the frosting):
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese – Softened
- 2 Tbs. Butter
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Powdered sweetener
INSTRUCTIONS (For the pumpkin loaf):
- Preheat oven to 350* Grease a 9.25×5.25×2.75 loaf pan.
- Using a hand mixer or food processor, cream together cream cheese, butter, and powdered sweetener in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in eggs one at a time. Then mix in pumpkin and vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Place pan on a cooling rack and allow to cool before frosting
INSTRUCTIONS (For the frosting):
- Using a hand mixer or food processor, cream together cream cheese, and butter.
- Mix in vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Gradually mix in powdered sweetener.
- Frost loaf, slice, SERVE AND ENJOY!!
Makes 12 Slices
Serving size: 1 Slice
Carbs: 2.3 net g
Fat: 13 g
Protein: 6 g