Gluten Free Christmas Cookies
- ½c butter cold and cubed
- 1c sugar
- 1large egg
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- ½tsp almond extract
- 1 ½c white rice flour*
- ¾c tapioca starch
- 1tsp xanthan gum*
- ½tsp salt
Family Icing Ingredients:
- 2egg whites
- 2tbsp butter melted
- 3c powdered sugar sifted
- ½tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2tbsp milk if needed
- food coloring
Royal Icing Ingredients:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine cold butter and sugar. Mix on medium for 1-2 minutes, or until butter and sugar are just combined.
- Add egg, vanilla and almond extract. Continue mixing for 1-2 more minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine white rice flour tapioca starch, xanthan gum and salt. Toss to combine.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the butter sugar mixture. Continue mixing on medium until dough starts to form a ball.
- Place dough out on a lightly powdered sugar-coated surface. Roll dough out to ¼ - ⅓ inch thickness.
- Using cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.
- Let cookies cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium-sized bowl place, mix egg whites over medium speed for 1 minute. Add butter, vanilla and 1 cup powdered sugar. Mix until sugar is incorporated.
- Add remaining sugar incrementally and mix well between each addition. If frosting is too thick, add 1-2 tbsp milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Add food coloring as desired.
- Frost cookies using a toothpick to spread the icing where you want it on the cookies.
Royal Icing: *optional*
- Place egg white in a medium bowl. Mix egg white for 1-2 minutes or until it becomes frothy. Add vanilla and mix for another minute.
- Add powdered sugar and mix over medium-low speed for 4-5 minutes.
- If icing is too thick, add milk as needed to reach an easy piping consistency.
- Place royal icing in a piping bag or in a zip-top bag with the tip cut off. Pipe designs on cookies and enjoy!
*You can also use 2 1/4 cup gluten-free 1-to-1 flour blend instead of the white rice flour, tapioca starch, and xanthan gum.
Carbs: 43 g
Fat: 6 g
Protein: 1 g